Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Varanasi to Udaipur

So I guess every trip, at least to India, needs one of those moments. Haven't had much of a chance to blog in part because of no wifi access as well as because of the deathly bug I caught in Varanasi. I did make a few prayers in Varanasi to Lord Shiva, the god of destruction and rebuilding, for strength, purification, guidance, and protection. On top of that, the many blessings received by the priests may have put my 'purification' process into over-drive. But let me tell you, I am definitely cleansed of anything negative at this point. Then, the lessons of patience, after a night of pain, we were rushed to the airport, for a morning flight. Being stuck at a tiny airport with one small 'snack' stand in a holy, but very unsanitary, city almost two hours before your flight will definitely mess with your skills in patience, but the true test, having your plane then be delayed almost 3 hours, just moments before you're suppose to board. With prayers in my heart and determination in my mind, we successfully arrived back in Delhi four the next lesson, humbleness and simplicity. It was more than torturous getting to stop at the house for 15 minutes before being rushed to the train station to catch a 12 hour overnight flight to Udaipur, Rajastan, but the gods were calling. We were booked on one of the 'upper' coaches of the train, comforted at least by the fact that we would be comfortable and reasonably situated for the long journey. But low and behold, this 'really nice' air conditioned cabin turned to be four bunk beds, of which the two bottom ones (ours) were already taken by an old man and a companion. No worries, being humble is an honest virtue that I was willing to work on, so I hoisted my stuff onto a top bunk and tried to get situated. Well, after a day and half of violent sickness, the thought of laying down on a dirty bunk bed surrounded by what seems to be mold took much strength. Kunal and I were both a little hesitant about using the provided sheets, blanket and pillow though, so each of us wrapped ourselves tightly in our clothes, I wiped down my leather surface with a pack of wet ones, and I prayed for the many medications to kick in and knock me out. My sickness gave me no break on the train, but after surviving almost 12 hours, I write to you in anticipation of getting off this train and heading to the  Oberoi hotel to end this part of our journey. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment