Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Temples, Sunset, and Camel Racing in the sand dunes

Now for some more back-tracking. Made it to Mumbai after a long day of traveling from Jaisalmer, but I will end the night with memories of the golden city. The tour of the golden fort was incredible, our insightful tour guide took us to the most beautiful Jain temples. Jainism is another and then oldest sect of Hinduism and their temples have one of he most spectacular design and detail I've seen. The day was still mixed with treats, including "special" cookies that we brought along to our camel excursion. Priests are not allowed to drink alcohol or smoke so they have taken a liking to 'Bhangra' I'm assuming a type of hash? Anyways, I'll steer away from the drug talk... Sorry family. Our guide brought us to his family jeweler, an amazing silver/goldsmith who was actually given a special award by the smithsonian for the family's legacy in the business. After donating my entire life savings to him, we continued to the sand dunes outside the city. For one, the camel saddles here may have been the most comfortable things everrr, but what good is comfort when you are camel racing! My 'guide's English wasn't so good so when I asked if they race camels for fun when theyre bored, he took it as a challenge against Kunaland his guide/camel. Needless to say, I won, but was told I have no balance. I guess trying to hold onto my camera so it wouldn't be destroyed by the silver handle in front of me, or simply holding on for my dear life, my guide felt I didn't have a good sense of balance. Who knew camels could give horses a run for their money?!? For now, enjoy the pics. I am retiring for the evening, hoping tomorrow will bring brighter adventures than the pain suffered in today's madness. Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment