Thursday, January 19, 2012

Bollywood!

My new knowledge in Bollywood films and music has proven to be useful yet, but being in the Bollywood capital of Mumbai... I feel something coming. After some disastrous travel plans got botched yesterday, I woke up early to head out to the Elephanta caves, about 10km off the shore of Mumbai. Tgot a nice workout climbing up to the 1000+ year old man-made caves dedicated to Lord Shiva. Apparently, the region is known for a large selection of caves, many being Buddhist related with some, like this one, being Hindu. The sculptures inside the caves were amazing, filled with beautifully preserved details. Each scene, taking up a whole wall, captured stories of Lord Shiva which also represented lessons for people. Even a thousand years ago, people were teaching others about the fluidity and temporality of life through sculptures and stories, urging people to lead with positivity and care. Specifically, with the case of lord Shiva, the stories of rebirth after destruction remind everyone that while no one likes to face obstacles or roughy times in their lives, there is always a rebirth and growth that comes afterwards. Our tour guide here was a little weak so we will have to do some of our own exploration around the city tomorrow, but we did go to the Gandhi museum, which is housed in Gandhi's former residence. Another inspiring and profound place to be,the museum was filled with letters to and from Gandhi, pictures, as well as a library of books written by him, about him, or simply some of his favorite texts. Now, I'm not saying I would, or could, fast for months in protest of the ills of our society, his story in yet another example of the power of one soul. There is still much time left in my travels, but I have been profoundly overwhelmed with a sense of awareness with myself and the world. The last few months, and even year, have been filled with some of the best highs and most saddening lows, but if I have taken anything from this time, it is just to live fully. It doesn't have to mean trekking the Himalayas or going swimming with great whites, but simply allowing yourself the courage to live with your heart open. Let me say, jumping out of an airplane felt much simpler than attempting to be completely vulnerable and honest with myself and others, BUT, theres a new feeling of satisfaction of being willing to be so open, that doesn't compare. As much as I, and many of us, want to believe that we need to protect and control ourselves, to look out for ourselves, we also need to welcome the support and love of people around us. While part of this is simply self-reflection, another part of this post comes from emails and the most wonderful messages everyone has been sending about my blog. I hope that you can all see this beautiful world through my pictures and imagine adventure with my stories, but more than anything, I hope you too may find a little something in these words that sparks something inside and allows you to push a little more out of yourself, live a little more vibrantly in all directions, and love without fear. I love you. namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment